Do you believe that the apple on our menu came straight from heaven? Appleit is a symbol of lust, love and eternal youth.
These epithets reflect human admiration for this fruit.
An old English proverb (saying), “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” – If you eat an apple or better yet, two apples a day, you will do a lot to preserve your health.
- Apple has its roots in Europe, where it grew as a wild tree in prehistoric times.
- Tame apples are from the south of Siberia and Asia, but Greeks and Romans cultivated numerous varieties.
- Apple tree can grow up to 12 meters and has an extensive tree with oval leaves.
- Apple is now among the most abundant fruits. There are about 10 000 apple varieties, which differ in taste, sweetness and acidity, consistency and juiciness.
Apple fruit is rich in nutrients, whose amount depends on the type and method of cultivation. It contains almost all the necessary nutrients.
In apple there are up to 40 mg of vitamin C, followed by vitamin A, E, B1, B2, B6 and beta-carotene. It contains the minerals potassium (100 to 180 mg) and calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. Apple is rich in polyphenols – plant compounds that have strong antioxidant activity. Contains quercetin, kaempferol, myricetin, catechins, anthocyanins and more than 20 antioxidants! 100 gram apple contains 3.3 grams of dietary fiber, which is more than ten percent of the recommended daily allowance.
Apple – small pharmacy
- Thanks to the high content of carbohydrates, especially fructose and glucose, apple supplies the body with energy and prevents fatigue and loss of concentration.
- Due to the high content of vitamin C and antioxidants, apple has a strong immunostimulatory effect.
- This is why Apple is very effective against viruses, bacteria and free radicals.
- This protects against cold and reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Apple has a positive effect on the heart and circulatory system. It prevents the accumulation of harmful substances in the blood, reduces high cholesterol and clogging of blood vessels. In this way protection against thrombosis and atherosclerosis.
- Due to the richness of pectin and cellulose, apple improves digestion, stabilizes the intestinal flora and helps with diarrhea and constipation.
Apple is an essential food for any child. Because it contains a lot of potassium.
Apple contains fructose monosaccharide, sugar that reduces the desire for sweets, and causes no change in blood glucose concentration.
Recent research shows that tannic acid contained in apples significantly affects the metabolism of fats and prevents their deposition in the liver.
Apple has a positive effect on the kidneys, liver and gall bladder.
Its influence on the alkalinity of urine helps with pregnancy complications.
From bioflavonoids apple contains the most anthocyanins, which are concentrated in the crust and give some varieties of apple red.
For this reason, it is recommended to eat an apple with the skin (this does not apply to apples sprayed with pesticides).
Anthocyanins have anti-inflammatory activity. Act protectively on the liver and heart and prevent cancer development, on the other hand stimulate the immune system.
Due to calcium and phosphorus is beneficial to build bones and teeth. Apple prevents tooth decay and strengthens and protects gums and oral flora.
Slowly chewing apples clean the teeth and destroy harmful bacteria in the oral cavity.
It helps against tooth decay even better than brushing teeth! Washing destroying 60 percent of the bacteria in the mouth, and eating apples 90 percent.
Because it contains up to 90 percent water and no fat, Apple successfully quenches thirst and refreshes after a hard workout.
It hides and tryptophan, a metabolic precursor of serotonin which raise our mood and perform better than a chocolate bar. They also soothes and relieves neurosis and irritability and welcome and as a sedative and tranquilizer.
Health benefits of apples:
- Boosts immunity
- Promotes weight loss
- Stimulates the kidneys, liver and gall bladder
- Protects from diseases of the oral cavity
- Stimulates digestion
- Protects the heart and blood vessels
- Helps with stress, fatigue and insomnia
- Protects against bacteria and viruses
- Prevents several types of cancer
Buying and storing
When buying choose apples that are firm, smooth and shiny. Make sure the crust is firm and undamaged.
Although you can find them in stores during all year, apples are best in period from October to April.
Apple is a fruit that can stay fresh for a long time.
If you have a basement, you can keep them in wooden boxes, but they make less light, stable temperature, ventilation and sufficient moisture.
In the fridge you can keep in the vegetable section several weeks. It is important to keep them in paper containers, for release ethylene gas, which accelerates the ripening of other vegetables or fruits that are stored in the refrigerator.