The plant aronia or chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) most resembles with blueberry and was named Siberian blueberry for two reasons.
The first is that it comes from North America and second one is because it is resistant to very low temperatures. Siberian chokeberry well tolerated cold winter and cold up to -45 ° C.
Aronia is rich in nutrients and healthy substances. Containing 25-30% of dry matter, most of saccharides, sugar 6.2 to 10.8%, cellulose from 3.0 to 3, 1% pectin from .63 to 0.75%, organic acid of 0.7 – 1.3% and anthocyanins (600-2300 mg%). They are rich with minerals such as iron, calcium, copper, iodine, boron, molybdenum, manganese, potassium, and cobalt, and vitamins C, P, PP, B6, B2, E and provitamin A.
Aronia contains the most antioxidants than 277 types of food used by man, including other berries, citrus fruits, vegetables, grains and spices. There are: epicatechin, caffeic acid, quercetin, delphinidin, petunidin, pelargonidin, peonidin,malvidin etc. All of these antioxidant phenols are flavonoids and absorb free radicals. The content of antioxidant is expressed in the so-called. ORAC units, the antioxidant capacity (The Oxygen Radical absorbance Capacity), which in Aronia has 16100, ie. 16100 micro moles per 100 grams of fruit which is much more than a blueberry, blackberry, raspberry or blackcurrant. Daily human needs range from 3000 – 5000 ORAC units, or 20-30 grams of this fruit or as many berries.
Aronia is food and a medicine that reduces the risk of colon cancer, active liver, cardiovascular disease, chronic inflammation, gastro problems including ulcers, and eye inflammation (uveitis). Strengthens the immune system and is good food – medicine for children, athletes and convalescents. It slows the aging process and has an antiseptic effect. It is possible that antioxidants help in the treatment of chronic diseases, such as cancers, cardiac diseases, Parkins, bronchitis and so on. All ingredients that aronia created to preserve themselves from insects, fungi, bacteria and viruses, which are referred to as one word or phytoncides herbal antibiotics, man enters into body and use the benefits of nature. So let sym:
- Aronia is rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, trace minerals, folic acid and vitamins B, C and E.
- Due to the high proportion of antioxidants and vitamins C and E, aronia has antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
- Aronia is rich in antioxidant anthocyanin, which strengthens the immune system, reduces the risk of cancer and slows aging.
- Aronia has a beneficial effect on the stomach. It stimulates the thyroid gland, and is especially recommended for people with hypothyroidism.
- Aronia prevents cardiovascular disease. This fruit lowers high blood pressure and cholesterol and stimulates the production of good cholesterol.
- Aronia stimulates the liver, helps with gallstones and inflammation of the gallbladder.
- Beneficial effect on our digestive system – soothes spasms and pain in the gut, reducing the intestinal mucosal inflammation and stops diarrhea.
- Aronia is useful and inflammation of the urinary tract.
- This fruit can be found in many products for weight loss, as it helps to maintain an ideal weight
Other benefits of Aronia:
- Excellent source of antioxidants
- Prevents heart disease and blood vessels
- Regulates blood pressure
- Protect the health of the urinary system
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Stimulates the thyroid
- Improves memory and concentration
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Boosts immunity
- Has beneficial effect on the digestive system
- Protects against viruses and bacteria
- Promotes the excretion of heavy metals from the body