Some parts of these foods contain substances that can be poisonous and harmful for people. Let’s take a closer look.
Believe it or not, there are certain foods that some people consume them very often but you would never have thought that they represent a health hazard. After reading this, you might be a little bit more cautious next time if you meet them on the table.
People in Europe had been feared from tomato hundreds of years ago. They began to eat this food even in the late 18th century. Leaves of this food contains toxic substances, solanine and tomatine which has fungicidal properties. Consuming this food with leaves, or just tomato leaves can cause stomach problems. In larger quantities they can have fatal consequences.
Eggplant is another type of vegetable that should be taken with precautions. The leaf and flower of this delicious plant also contain solanine, which, like we have said, is toxic and should be avoided.
Leaves of rhubarb (Garden rhubarb)
Stalks of rhubarb combined with sweet strawberries are great combination for a summer dessert. But consumption of this plant can take us to the hospital. The leaves of this plant contains oxalic acid and arachidonic acid, glycosides that have the effect of a toxin. Symptoms can range from stomach pains and vomiting to seizures.
The potato originated in the same family as poisonous Belladonna (toxic plant-flower). The toxic substance ‘solanine’ is mostly located in stems of potato, so this parts should always be removed.
Apple seeds contain some small amounts of amygdalin, a substance which in contact with digestive enzymes turns into cyanide. Apple seeds have strong membrane which prevents this poison (small quantities) to go into the body when they are swallowed, but it is important not to chewed the seeds or to take them out if and when you blend apples in food processor for example. Few seeds are not gonna make some problem to our organism, but when they are in large quantities or consumed often, they can.
Same as apple seeds. Cherry seeds contain cyanide. If they are swallowed, more than few, you may vomit and have difficulty in breathing.
For end, one real poisonous food, pufferfish-second most poisonous creature on the planet after the Golden Poison Frog. This Japanese delicacy can lead to paralysis and even death. Chefs who are preparing this fish train few years. So, if visiting Japan or Korea, think about it if you are ordering this japanese fish delicacy in some restaurant.