Chia seeds (latin: Salvia hispanica) is a species of flowering plant in the mint family, Lamiaceae, native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala.
Chia is the richest plant with Omega 3 fatty acids, protein and fiber and also contains a significant number of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. From minerals they are manganese, important mineral for our metabolism and development of muscles and bones, next is copper, useful mineral for proper work of our heart, then, there is potassium, iron,calcium etc.
As for vitamins, chia seed do not represent plentiful source but contain A,B,C and D, which are important for vision,skin, hair, muscle, nerve tissue and so on. Chia seed is excellent for skin regeneration, it strengthens the body and has a positive effect on the digestive organs. Nutritionists agree that the chia seed is one of the best that you can eat if you feel weak and/or without energy.
This healthy seeds act very refreshing on our body, they stimulate digestion and regulate bowel movements and regulate electrolyte levels.
Chia seed is recommended for those who want to lose weight also, because faster decomposition of body fat effect is achieved , and gives us a feeling of satiety and an excellent replacement for almost all salty snacks. Although it is not a grain, it is certainly healthier than them because they it not contain gluten and can be combined with various dishes.
Let’s see a list with some of healthy benefits from chia seed:
- These seeds do not contain gluten,
- It is very powerful antioxidant,
- They contain 20 percent protein,
- Chia seed has total of 8 amino acids,
- Contains five times more calcium than milk,
- Contain seven times more vitamin C than oranges,
- They contain three times more iron than spinach,
- Contain twice more potassium than bananas,
- Promote healthy skin, hair and nails,
- They have a positive impact on leveling blood glucose and therefore are excellent for diabetics,
- Due to the high concentration of fiber they improve digestion and treat the symptoms of diseases of the digestive system,
- Chia seeds are a great substitute for eggs, just mixing them with water to make a gel and adding them in recipes as a substitute for eggs,
- Chia seeds are great for brain health and heart because the large amount of omega-3 fatty acids.