Tapeworm infection is the infestation of the digestive tract by a parasitic flatworm, caused by ingesting certain raw or uncooked food or even water contaminated with tapeworm eggs or larvae.
Tapeworms are parasites that can survive only within another organism, which is known as the host. They grow after the host ingests the eggs of the tapeworm. Usually consuming contaminated water and contaminated food are the primary causes and oral medication is a common treatment.
According to older post by UK Dailymail, Chinese man visit his doctor, complaining with stomach ache and itchy skin. After doctor’s examination and x-scan, it was revealed that entire his body was infected with tapeworm. Cause of this was due to a large amount of raw fish consumption (sashimi-raw slices of fish).
In People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province (Eastern China), where the man was hospitalized, doctors believe that some of the uncooked raw meat of the Japanese delicacy which the man consumed was probably contaminated with tapeworm eggs.
Also, there are many public researches showing that eating raw or even undercooked fish can lead to many parasitic infections. Tapeworms infection is an infection of the digestive tract by a species of parasitic flatworm, called tapeworms.
This infection, Tapeworm infection, can occur after ingesting the larvae of diphyllobothrium. When certain fish eat tapeworm eggs, hatching larvae attach itself to the intestinal wall of the fish and the worms infect the fish flesh. Because sushi is not cooked, the larvae can easily transfer into the flesh of the human that consumes that fish. Once a human gets infected, tapeworms will grow inside the intestines over a period of few weeks. They can survive for years and can be undetected for months.
Tapeworm infection may also occur after consuming contaminated pork or beef meat. Symptoms of this infection include, on first place, abdominal discomfort, fatigue, diarrhea etc. If larvae migrate to other parts of the human body they can cause life-threatening conditions. This common infection is treated with medications, usually taken by mouth in a single dose.